Energy Efficiency Policies: Transport
The global exchange for energy efficiency policies, data and impacts
"The IEA is working with Governments across the world to enact the right policies for enhancing energy efficiency. We know there is an appetite for focused solutions, and this is what our Efficient World Strategy offers."
Dr. Fatih Birol, IEA Executive Director
An efficient world strategy for transport
The IEA Efficient World Strategy lays out the enabling measures to realise gains in the transport sector, which represents the largest energy efficiency opportunity in the Efficient World Scenario. Key actions include:
- Expanded and strengthened fuel economy standards for cars and trucks can continue to deliver efficiency gains.
- Continuation and development of global targets and measures for aviation and shipping.
Finance & incentives
- Efficiency-based vehicle taxation.
- Financial support for electrification of various transport modes.
- Consider market-based instruments to increase investment and business model innovation, although application to date has been limited.
Information and capacity building
- Information to support efficient vehicle uptake and mode shift (e.g. labels, web-based resources and vehicle/trip comparison tools).
- Training to support more efficient transport practices.