Technology Collaboration Programme
Advancing the research, development and commercialisation of energy technologies
The IEA Technology Collaboration Programme supports the work of 38 independent, international groups of experts that enable governments and industries from around the world to lead programmes and projects on a wide range of energy technologies and related issues.
More about collaboration on
Advanced Motor Fuels (AMF)
The mission of the AMF TCP is to advance the understanding and appreciation of the potential of advanced motor fuels towards transport sustainability. This is achieved by providing sound information and technology assessments designed to facilitate informed and science-based decisions regarding advanced motor fuels at all levels of decision-making.
Main areas of work
Key activities and accomplishments (2017-18)
- Driving cycle for buses adopted by the Chilean government in Santiago
- Fuel efficiency and tailpipe emissions results contributed to international emissions model
- Using natural gas and biogas and their derivatives in road transport
- AMF fuels/vehicles evaluated and benchmarked against others
Priorities and projects (2019-20)
- Lessons learned from Alternative Fuels Experience
- The contribution of Advanced Renewable Transport Fuels to Transport Decarbonisation in 2030 and beyond
- Heavy duty vehicle evaluation
- Methanol as motor fuel
- Real driving emissions & fuel consumption
- GDI engines and alcohol fuels
- Sustainable bus systems – phase 2
- Methane emission control
- Joint project with the Bioenergy TCP; co-operation with TCPs on Combustion and Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
- Interests and priorities for further collaboration include:
- Efficiency and emissions (Combustion TCP)
- Emerging fuels (Hydrogen TCP)
- Fuels for HEVs and FCVs: (HEV and AFC TCPs)
- Lessons learned and deployment of new technologies (several TCPs)
- Systems analysis (several TCPs)
Why should your organisation become a member of AMF?
Advanced motor fuels, applicable to all modes of transport, significantly contribute to a sustainable society around the globe. The AMF TCP provides an international platform for co-operation and exchange of best practices, enabling stakeholders from different continents to pool and leverage knowledge and research capabiliites in the field of advanced and sustainable transport fuels.